AskGene.com

AskGene.com header image 2

GE oven error code “F7” and how to fix it

June 23rd, 2007 · 38 Comments

One of the most common problems with GE electric built in ovens is the error code “F7” shown on the display. I’ve seen it many times before and today I had a service call for the same problem again. The error code “F7” will be displayed along with a beeping sound if the ERC (Electronic Range Control) or “clock” senses one or more buttons on the control panel stuck. It could be displayed in any mode: “cook”, “clean” or even more often in the “time of the day” mode. In order to fix it, the control panel has to be replaced. This is a very simple job and you will need just a 1/4″ nut driver and a Phillips screwdriver.
To get the right replacement part just click on the link AppliancePartsPros then type the model number of your oven (it is located at the bottom left corner on the door frame of the lower oven) in the search box, click on the “search” button and in the new window type the word ”control panel”  in the “search by keyword” box and click the “search” button.
Always turn off the circuit breaker first.
Open the oven door (if you have a double oven, it should be the upper one) and remove three screws (on some models just two on corners) from the bottom of the control panel. If the control panel on your oven is made of stainless steel, then you have to pull the oven out of the cabinet for about 2″ to 3″ to get better access. Pull the control panel forward and up to remove the tabs on the top of the frame, out of the holes in the end caps. Pull the control panel out and turn it about 90° toward yourself (the face of the control panel down). Unplug the control panel ribbon from the ERC. Remove four screws holding the ERC to the control panel. On some models you also have to remove the screw which attaches the ground wire to the control panel. Let the ERC hang on its wires, remove the old control panel and replace it with the new one. On some models before you do it, you have to remove the end caps and the bottom shield from the old control panel and install them on the new one. Do not forget to plug the new control panel ribbon into the ERS slot. Attach the new control panel to the oven and turn the circuit breaker on. Set the time of the day and you are back in business.

Tags: Oven error codes

38 responses so far ↓

• Andrew Smith // May 12, 2009 at 3:03 am

Your repair instructions for Fault code F7 on our GE oven were perfect. The Appliance Parts Pros shipped with no problems. The directions for replacing the control panel were to the ‘Tee’. Thanks for having this website, I’ll tell everyone I know how helpful it was for me.

• Gene // May 12, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Hello Andrew,

I’m glad you were able to fix it.
    Thank you for stopping by.

Gene.

• Wendy // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:43 am

Gene – Thanks so much for posting this. I had this issue for awhile and just thought I would need to call a repair man again. I followed your directions and it was perfect. You are a Gene-ious!!

• Suzanne Judy // Oct 5, 2012 at 8:46 am

What a great resource you have created. Your link to Appliance Part Pros got us the right part in 2 days. Then your instructions were spot on. We are back in business in record time. Thanks so much. With money saved I can go have a massage!

• Ramona // Oct 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I agree with Andrew…worked for us…thanks so much. Certainly an expense part.

• Michael Frattaroli // Nov 22, 2014 at 3:53 am

I was able to fix mine by removing the ribbon cable, cleaning with alcohol and reinserting it. Also don’t forget there are tabs on each side of the ribbon cable socket that must be lifted out prior to removal and reinsertion.

• Indie Smith // Jan 1, 2015 at 9:56 am

We have a GE Spectra Oven – GAS – we keep getting F7 error codes and the oven will not heat. We have now replaced control panel and still no heat. What could the problem be. Thanks for your help.

• Gene // Jan 1, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Hello Indie,

Thank you for your question.

In order to provide most accurate advice I need the complete model number of the oven.

Gene.

• parm // Jan 17, 2015 at 1:31 am

In my case it was the keypad. The number “3” on the keypad was stuck and hence “f7” error code. I gently pried the two sandwiched membrane layers of the key pad just close to the number “3”. That’s it . I got the key unstuck and the whole thing works awesome.

• Leslie // Apr 4, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for sharing, I’m going to try and fix it right now!!

• Lee Armstrong // May 14, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I changed out the control panel and now no code but it clicks and the clock flashes also nothing is working on it

• Gene // May 16, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Hello Lee.

Make sure the control panel ribbon cable is plugged into the control board slot tight and firm.

Gene.

• ethan // Dec 1, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Replaced the erc, issue is still here. Any other fixes?

• Gene // Dec 6, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Hello ethan,

What was the original problem?
    What is the complete model number of the unit?
    What is the part number of the new ERC?

Gene.

• Ryan Bailey // Dec 12, 2015 at 11:53 am

Replaced ERC on GE Profile oven model: JGB900SEF1SS

Everything seemed to work like a champ for about an hour, then “F7 EA” code showed up and was beeping. So frustrated now as I thought this brand new part would fix the problem. I’m going to look into disassembling the keypad, but I’m not sure if that is what I should be looking into. I’m wondering if I got a bad part for some reason, or if that was even the issue to begin with. Any thoughts? Advice?

• Gene // Dec 12, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for your question.

The normal correction for F7 failure (error) code is to replace the keypad/membrane assembly. Unfortunately the new part for this model is no longer available.
    Such problem usually has nothing to do with ERC and replacing this part would not fix it.
    You can try to clean the end of the ribbon cable with rubbing alcohol. Some time it works. Otherwise it’s probably time for a new range.

Sorry for a sad news.

Gene.

• miguel // Dec 14, 2015 at 9:43 am

Have a Ge model JGB916sek1ss F7 Error cleaning ribbon with alchol only work for few hours. Is there a replacement board available. Could it be the ribbon that is damaged sice it has a black mark on it if so does that come with new control board?

• Gene // Dec 14, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Hello Miguel,

Thank you for your question.

Looks like the control panel/membrane assembly would need to be replaced.

The part number for the assembly is wb36k10588

You can order the part by clicking on the part number above.

Good luck.

Gene.

• Lynn // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:35 am

this oven control panel has been replaced twice by appliance repairman and once by me as per your advice but it is showing it again. Any advice?

• Gene // Dec 27, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Hello Lynn,

I need more detailed information from you. What is the part number of the control panel which has been replaced? What is the model number of the oven? When it was repaired first, second and third times?

Thank you.

Happy New Year!

Gene.

• Tracey // Dec 25, 2015 at 7:32 am

Merry Christmas Gene, I followed your directions to change the panel, I pushed & held bake to try it out and got a 5f notification 🙁 did I do something wrong??

• Gene // Dec 27, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Hello Tracey,

I hope your Christmas was merry.

One question: why did you push and hold the bake button? Holding the button probably caused this notification.

Gene.

• JayT // Dec 25, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Thank you for the described fix, it worked perfectly and now my home no longer sounds like a fire alarm testing unit.

My F7 error code was for the plastic touchpad face type with 3 screws to hold it up. After following the directions outlined, all is back to normal.

• Mac // Aug 14, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Great advise and comments ,thanks to all .It worked for me just the cleaning of the ribbon , please try that before ordering any parts . Thanks a lot.

• Rich // Nov 4, 2016 at 9:01 am

Thank you. Thank you!

The suggestions to clean the “ribbon cable” with rubbing alcohol worked for us. It saved a lot of expense and worry. It is a simple and logical solution, especially since the oven vents on to the control panel and all its electronics.

Rich

• brad // Nov 23, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Hi Gene
    I have a GE JT912 convection oven, full model number (JT912COF1CC).
    I am getting the F7 error code, tried cleaning the ribbon cable but did not work. Seems like the start button is sticking sometimes. part number on the ribbon cable is “164D4935P003 Bisque assembly” do you know if a person can replace just the keypad?
    Thanks
    Brad

• Gene // Nov 27, 2016 at 12:01 am

Hello, Brad.

Thank you for your question.

The only solution in such situation is to replace the control panel. The job is not complicated, especially if you already removed it for cleaning. Ther are two other problems. The first problem the part is on back order. The second problem – the part is very expensive. It runs close to $600 ($594.02). I’m not sure if the oven is worth such repairs.

The part number for the control panel is AP3205957

Good luck.

Gene.

• Bryan // Dec 11, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Gene,

I have an GE P2S920SEF3SS slide-in dual fuel range. My range would randomly stop working. I would turn off the breaker and turn it back on. No buttons would work for about 1/2 hour. Then it would work fine Every so often the digital display would beep and flash F76.
    I replaced the ERC this weekend. I replaced each wire from the old ERC to the new ERC one by one.
    Turned the range on and none of the buttons work and the clock just flashes. The time changes but it just flashes. Deassembled it and checked everything and reassembled.
    Do I need to replace the button panel also?

• Gene // Dec 16, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Hello, Bryan.

Thank you for your question.

The meaning of this failure code is shortened key matrix or Off key. In most cases, it leads to the key (touch) panel failure.

The part number for the glass and touch board assembly is AP5791105

This part is on back order. You can find the ETA by calling their customer service at 1-877-477-7278 or you can use their live chat.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

Gene.

• Mary // May 9, 2017 at 6:23 am

Gene,

I purchased a GE gas range PGS920SEF2SS on 8/11/14. On 10/6/16 the control board was replaced due to an F76 error code. At the end of April ’17, I got the same F76 error code and the control board was replaced again. On 5/7/17, yet another F76 error code and the independent appliance store where I purchased this range is ordering the THIRD control panel for this range! They have installed each of the two earlier control boards and can not figure out why I keep getting an F76 code. The first time, a GE tech person suggested that I not spray or use harsh chemical cleaners – I don’t. Now, they are asking me to have an electrician check the outlet the range is plugged into as there might be an outlet problem causing the control board to short. The top of the range (burners) work but no oven. Can you possibly explain what is going on? Thanks!

• Gene // May 9, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Hello, Mary.

Very unusual situation. The meaning of the error code you posted is “shorted key matrix or Off key”. It leads to the key panel, not to the ERC (control board). The mini manual for this model number states that there should be a separate glass touch panel which is connected to the ERC via a ribbon cable. Well, I checked the breakdown parts diagrams on all available web sites. Guess what? They all show the ERC with the part number wb27x25332 but no one of them shows glass touch panel board.
    What is the part number of the part the store keeps replacing?

• Gene // May 10, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Hello, Mary.

I had to speak with GE to find out the right part number for this glass touch board assembly.

The part number is wb27x20745

• Natalie // Aug 15, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Dear Gene
    I have a GE double oven profile model numberJTP56WD1WW. I first got a F7 code and after clearing the code several times with the cancel button I’m now getting a F0 code. The only button that will respond to touch is the cancel buttons on both upper and lower ovens. I have tried cleaning the strip with alcohol and hasn’t seemed to help any other suggestions?
    Natalie

• Gene // Aug 19, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Hello, Natalie.

Thank you for your question.

There are two possible causes: a faulty control panel or a faulty control board. The new control board is very expensive – almost $400, while the new control panel has been discontinued and is no longer available. You may want to shop for a new oven.
    If you would like to try to replace the control board, the part number is wb27t10297

• Andrea // Aug 19, 2017 at 7:58 am

My issue sounds very similar to Mary’s. I have a GE Profile range that we’ve replaced the control panel on once due to a F76 code. The stove was 10 months old at the time and now only 6 months later is having the same issue. Any thoughts? We are not getting it wet and do not cook that frequently. Very disappointing for such an expensive and new stove. Thanks for your help!

• Gene // Aug 19, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Hello, Andrea.

I would need the complete model number of your range.

Thank you.

• Andrea // Aug 24, 2017 at 6:56 am

Hi Gene – Per my previous comment, I have a similar problem as Mary’s with F76 code and beeping. This is the stove/model #:

GE Profile 5.6 cu. ft. Slide-In Gas Range with Self-Cleaning Convection Oven in Stainless Steel
    Model # PGS920SEFSS

Thanks!

• Gene // Aug 24, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Hello, Andrea.

Which part has been replaced: the electronic control board or the glass touch panel?
    Who did diagnostic and repair?